Friday, March 22, 2013

Tea with James Whale


I just finished watching Bride of Frankenstein for the millionth time. I love that movie and I love James Whale. The last time I watched it was at the Music Box Horror Movie Massacre in 2006 on 35mm. It's hard to beat the 35mm experience, but watching it in Europe while living in my '30s apartment at the foot of a castle was an equally fantastic encounter. One I hope to replicate soon with the first Frankenstein movie.

James Whale has been on my mind a lot lately. I've been working on a project that involves him in a small but significant way and I can't stop thinking about his movies. It occurred to me the other day how James Whale-ish my apartment really is - it has a perfect view of a really spooky castle (that was actually a former prison), there are tombstones in the yard next door, oodles of cats prowling around constantly and a certain elegance and je ne se qua that screams classic Universal horror movie. I wish I could invite James Whale for tea so we could sit in my office sun room and shoot the shit about literature and movies while eating delicious vegan shortbread cookies. I would wear my black lace dress with red tights and my wide-brimmed black hat and sunglasses. I'd imagine he would wear a white linen suit with matching brown shoes, gloves and a cane. Wouldn't it be loverly?

P.S. Wasn't Elsa Lanchester gloriously beautiful? She might be the most gorgeous actress of all time in my book.

My office back in December. It's cleaner now.

Špilberk Castle covered in snow.

Špilberk Castle not covered in snow.


No comments:

Post a Comment